LATTICE_CONSTRAINTS for non-orthorhombic lattices

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

inigo.robredo

LATTICE_CONSTRAINTS for non-orthorhombic lattices

#1 Post by inigo.robredo » Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:12 am

Dear developers,

I want to run a relaxation of a (non-orthorhombic) cell fixing the first two lattice vectors and letting the third one vary freely. I am using VASP 6.4.3 and I set LATTICE_CONSTRAINTS = .FALSE. .FALSE. .TRUE.

I attach the initial POSCAR, INCAR and the resulting CONTCAR. You can see how, instead of fixing the third lattice vector, it fixes the first two components of every lattice vector. I tried modifying the "constr_cell_relax.F" and I got the same result. In that file, it states that the basis vectors A are modified as (A -> A+FCELL.A). The results suggest that the change is actually (A -> A+A.FCELL).

I saw that there is a new powerful functionality to restrict the lattice and atomic positions through the ICONST file. I can see no easy way to implement the total fixing of two lattice vectors and letting the third completely relax.

Thank you for your help,

Iñigo

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martin.schlipf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LATTICE_CONSTRAINTS for non-orthorhombic lattices

#2 Post by martin.schlipf » Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:21 pm

LATTICE_CONSTRAINTS works as intended here. It zeros components along the Cartesian axes not along specific lattice vectors.

You could use the ICONST file to fix the lattice vectors. Two length constraints (LR) for the first two lattice vectors combined with a angle constraint (LA) between them should do the job.

Finally, you could rotate the structure. In standard representation, the first lattice vector is along the x-axis and the second one is in the x-y plane. Your LATTICE_CONSTRAINTS will then keep the first two vectors fixed. Notice that only the z component of the third vector should change so the calculation will behave differently from the previous example.

Martin Schlipf
VASP developer